Inking happens to everyone

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Bromance?

While searching around today, a funny word caught my eye. "Bromance"
Urban Dictionary states "Describes the complicated love and affection shared by two straight males."
I googled the word to find more information and located this site: http://thebromance.com/ I'm not sure what I think about this site, if its just funny and witty, or just disturbing..they are mostly a recorded show, but Check it out, Im sure you'll give me some input.

Now, Women have "girlfriends" and while we are Very close, and have love and affection for one another, it is definately a sisterly act. There is no Femance. We speak pretty freely of our feelings for one another, and that usually sounds like this " I am so glad we are friends and I love you". its an I love you that you would say to your sister, or mother..

My purpose here is to bring to light an interesting view.
A man would never say, this is my boyfriend, Carl. Unless he and Carl were gay. A man generally does not have a specific identification other than "friend".. This is my Friend Carl. Most men would not use any other specific identification because of the fear or concern someone would read the relationship in the wrong way. It is also a way for Men to lay down important ground rules, such as Friend implies I like you, I enjoy your company but smack me on my ass or spontaneously hug or kiss me and Ill kick you in the neck. I dont normally see men say to each other, " i love you", "I care about you" or "I respect and cherish our relationship" So i have to assume it is because the ground rules were laid out, you are friends and there is no need to communicate the deepness or appreciation of each other further as it should be implied since you are friends. I understand the majority of this is because Men are not comfortable expressing these feelings out loud, let alone to another Man. Then WHY? Why would the Male population create a word to describe their relationship with another STRAIGHT Male that is completely and suggestively emotional, as well as latterally connected to a word that implies love on a level other than friendship? Was Bro not enough? or my good friend? my Best Man?

Just curious as to where the Bromance started.

1 comment:

Arison said...

the bromance started at thebromance.com