Inking happens to everyone

Friday, April 11, 2008

Dalai Lama drama

When I arrived at work today, the entire street in front of my building was lined on both sides with more than 100 police motorcycles and then all the bike cops, horses.. yada yada.. all preparing for the Dalai Lama and his entourage to move on down the road to the convention center for his Seeds of Compassion meeting. more than 15,000 students were attending, along with 150,000 other people. I guess he was staying at the Hilton next door. I know the Dalai Lama is the religious leader of Tibet, and is very big on Peace and compassion. This event is NOT a religious event. nor is it Political. that was stated up front. Would I want my daughter to hear what he has to say on compassion? sure! If it was a religious event, would I want my daughter to hear what he has to say on Compassion and Buddhism.. not so much, as we're Christians and I'm the Mom. Now, I know for a fact, a school Can NOT take your child somewhere with out the parents permission. SO if it was an event on religion, I would simply say, no, she can not attend. Am I angry that other parents are allowing their children? no.. thats between them. Obviously this parent doesnt get that.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/education/2004341619_dalaischool11m.html

If anything, they will learn to respect another human being, who happens to have great views on compassion. which if you've been watching the news lately.. the kids NEED more of it badly( the teacher beating, the bus beating incident.. ) Maybe they should try teaching their children who God is. And that Compassion should be part of Everyone, regardless of religion. Which being Christians, is a pretty important thing, since Jesus was the most Compassionate person ever to grace our earth.

One of the parents states " would the Pope be welcomed that way"... well, probably not, know why? he doesnt do non religious discussions nor travel to spread the word. BUT, if he did say, travel the world, deciding to speak of a general subject like "kindness", I believe people would welcome him greatly, he is a figure of faith and hope, and I believe people want to hear about faith and hope. But again, if you dont want your child to hear what the Pope has to say about religion, just dont let them attend. This is not a hard parenting problem. You say either yes, or no.

its just a learning opportunity on Compassion.. thats it..

on another note of the same chord.. Dave Mathews will be doing a concert today at 4:30 right after his time with the Dalai Lama.. they're doing a conversation and concert for the public..
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004341362_davematthews11.html

No comments: